Monday, January 16, 2012

Courtyard of the Reina Sofia Museum, Madrid

I love art museums, so you can imagine that over almost five months in Europe and the Middle East, I visited more than my fair share of good ones.  My favorite museum of the entire trip--my favorite museum anywhere, actually--is the Reina Sofia in Madrid, which showcases primarily Spanish visual arts of all kinds from 1900 to the present.  The museum functions almost like a documentary about the last 100 years of Spanish history through the lens of painting, sculpture, film, and other media.  

The museum consists of two buildings: the Sabatini building, constructed in the 18th century, and the Nouvel building, which was only completed in 2005.  The pictures below were taken in the courtyard of the Sabatini building, and I'll post pictures of the Nouvel building later today.









No comments:

Post a Comment