Saturday, June 25, 2011

Courtyard of my riad in Rabat


My riad in Rabat, Dar Mayssane, is owned and operated by a young Frenchwoman, Ann-Sophie, whose taste, style, and hospitability are absolutely impeccable. It's so lovely I want to move in. A million little touches make this place feel special: rose petals on my fresh towels and pillows, handmade soap in the sink and shower, homemade preserves with the bread at breakfast, aromatic herbs that make the courtyard smell so good, fresh flowers all over the place, beautiful things to look at wherever your eyes fall. And it is totally reasonable--a fraction of what the big hotels cost, in fact. I just don't understand why anyone would come to Morocco and stay in a cookie cutter international hotel. The riad experience has been one of my favorite parts of Morocco.

(By the way, it goes without saying, but Anne-Sophie didn't ask me to write this, nor does she know I am writing it. I don't receive any type of consideration for things I write in this blog, so when I praise something, please know it's because I'm sincerely enthusiastic about it and just want to spread the word about a place that's doing great stuff--there's no other motive.) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment