Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Black Swan in Madrid

I made it to Madrid safely, and I can't check in quite yet, so I'm hanging out in the lobby of my hostel soaking up the free wi-fi and air conditioning. The flight was uneventful except for the fact that maybe for the first time in my life, I was justified in getting to the airport way earlier than any normal person would do. It took a full two hours to make it through bag check and security. United's international departures line was so long it might have been easier just to walk to Madrid, and then they seated me in a middle seat in the middle aisle. But we landed safely, and I'm pretty sure that this won't be the roughest leg of travel on this particular adventure. So no big deal. I'm making a conscious decision not to let stuff like that get to me. So far it's working. Remind me of that when I find my first roach in a hostel, okay? ;)

Well, I've made quite a debut here in Madrid. Right after I got off the plane, I felt something itching my right eye. Stupidly, I rubbed it, and after a few minutes it was getting worse and not better, and it felt like it might be swelling a little. I pulled out a mirror and when I saw my reflection, I almost screamed. Have you seen the promo posters for Black Swan? I had to take two subway lines and walk several blocks to get to my hostel, and I was trying desperately not to look anyone in the eye. Nobody needs a scare like that during their morning commute. And you can imagine how great I looked after hauling all my crap up six flights of stairs to get to the hostel. When I burst into the lobby, now sweaty and disheveled on top of looking like I had recently injected heroin into my eyeball, you could almost see the thought bubble above the attendant's head: "I don't want any trouble, lady--just take the money." Yikes.

Eyedrops seems to be doing the trick, though, and in a couple of minutes I'll be able to get into my room. Then it's off to explore Madrid! There's a big protest a couple of blocks away--tent cities and sheets painted with slogans in Spanish, English, and Arabic. Should be a really interesting day. Pictures forthcoming.

Adios, mi amigos! :)

Peg

1 comment:

  1. Yay you made it! Enjoy Madrid, have some delicious dinner and adjust to the new time zone. Miss you already.

    ReplyDelete