Tuesday, May 17, 2011

“And you may ask yourself, ‘How did I get here?’”


A few days ago, I celebrated my 38th birthday by buying a one-way plane ticket overseas, leaving in a week.  I’m a lawyer in Washington, DC and my firm recently downsized.  Last in, first out; suddenly I’ve got a lot of free time on my hands.  
It stung a little at first, but it didn’t take long to find the silver lining: for the first time in my life, I’ve actually got time, savings, and the freedom to travel.  Except for the whole lack of income thing, it’s kind of ideal.  
I’ve been trying to learn Arabic for about two and a half years, and it’s been an exceedingly slow process.  One of my goals for the trip is to try to make some headway with my language skills this summer, most likely in either Morocco or Jordan.  I applied to go to a language school in Fez for six weeks, but I sent in my application a bit late and I’m not sure if they’ll have room for me.  If that doesn’t work, I’ll figure out something else.
All I know for sure is that next Tuesday, I’ll be boarding a flight for Madrid with no return ticket, not knowing a soul in the entire country, and having no itinerary past the first two nights.  This is either going to be the adventure of a lifetime or a total fiasco.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment